Having limited space and room to move might feel too restrictive for some people. But our latest 10m wide narrow block home design custom designed for our clients for their subdivided block in Lathlain has hit the spot.
It’s great to meet clients who scrapbook ideas as it helps provide a bit of a road map for us during the design brief.
However, it’s not as easy as having a few pictures to go off. There are site orientation issues, local government planning guidelines to follow along with owner requirements! Juggling all three of these takes skill and a lot of expertise to get right.
The good news? Our clients love the design right from the initial sketch presentation which we’re featuring in this post.
Being the preliminary sketch this 2D design requires some imagination to realise the depth of this home. However, this frontage shows the following features:
- A stylish front gatehouse with a two storey extension of that design behind which is closer to the entry door.
- Feature cedar panelling above the gatehouse and house turret.
- The gatehouse provides some security and privacy with an intercom system and automatic gate release system allowing the owners to pick and choose who can come into their property.
- Matching cedar garage door.
- Feature limestone cladding or limestone render to the gatehouse, turret and brick pier on the right hand side of the balcony. This different colour tone and texture creates additional points of interest to the streetscape.
- Hidden flat roof over the garage adding to the overall design by removing too much dominant roof tiles.
- Steel posts helping the balance the elevation and keeping it aesthetically pleasing without too much weight which would look bulky and awkward on a narrow block design.
- Wrought Iron material for the gatehouse keeping the design open which is important in creating a sense of space.
Creating a floor plan is always a challenge, especially when you are considering a design brief from a client that has specific requirements. Squeezing it all into a 10m wide block is even more of a challenge. So lets look at what the ground floor design offers.
For the most part the owners will enter the home through the garage entry, which comes through the laundry and passes by a large walk in Pantry which also operates as a scullery benchtop and the fridge. Convenient when bringing home groceries. Then on to enter into the heart of the home which includes a stylish galley kitchen complete the breakfast bar, the Dining and Living rooms all overlooking the Alfresco entertaining area. There’s also a desk nook for the kids to complete homework in an easy to monitor position.
Separating the living and the master suite is a pool and gallery zone which will look absolutely amazing with the reflected light infiltrating the gallery and living areas providing serenity all year round. The rear of the home features the master ensuite, walk through robes and a large ensuite with a low maintenance shower area which doesn’t require a shower screen much to the delight of the cleaners! A smaller study/nursery room is featured near the master bedroom which allows for several different functions as the kids get older.
There is also a powder room toward the front of the home, separated away from the main living areas that is easily accessible for guests when they visit.
The top floor plan includes two bedrooms along with an activity area which can be closed off to restrict noise travelling through the whole home. A window from the Activity overlooks the void area above the Dining and also cleverly allows for additional light to enter both areas from different directions during the day.
The main bedroom upstairs is connected to the bathroom as a semi-ensuite and also has its own private balcony, which helps the home aesthetically more than practically.
Creating amazing home designs is our passion and we’re so happy our clients loved their new home plan. Now we only have to wait to see it built and we’ll add some completed photos to our blog!
If you’re thinking of building on a narrow block and can’t find the right design, why not take advantage of our services and create something amazing that will not only serve you well for years, but will be a home you’re proud to come home to every day and even better, when it comes time to sell will move quickly because of its many unique selling points.